Maria Kelly is a passionate advocate and award-winning attorney who has dedicated her career to representing the injured. As founder and managing partner of Kelly Law, Maria works tirelessly to hold wrongdoers accountable and to maximize her clients’ recoveries.
Maria began her legal career in 2004 at a high-profile plaintiff’s personal injury firm, where she handled catastrophic injury cases. At that firm, she co-chaired her first trial in a case that resulted in the largest wrongful death verdict in California history at that time.
In 2007, Maria founded Kelly Law, a firm dedicated exclusively to prosecuting personal injury cases and vindicating the rights of the injured. Maria takes immense pride in maximizing plaintiffs’ financial recoveries by achieving “big firm” results while keeping her clients’ out-of-pocket costs low. She cultivates strong relationships with and genuinely cares about every client, and she views her role in helping clients navigate their physical and emotional harm as crucial.
I would absolutely refer Maria to someone else and actually already have. Her genuine compassion coupled with her professional and timely approach is amazing.
– Andrew W.
Maria’s record of success speaks for itself: over the past decade, she has obtained millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements. In 2016 alone, she earned more than $1.75 million in settlements for her clients. Notable recoveries include:
- $965,000 for an auto collision case in which Maria aggressively investigated the at-fault driver’s conduct all the while guiding her client through the spinal fusion surgery required for her client to live a healthy, pain-free life.
- Multiple six-figure policy limits settlements in several automobile collision cases. In each of these cases, Maria’s tenacious efforts achieved the maximum possible recoveries in very short time frames for her clients.
- A high six-figure, confidential settlement in which Maria successfully challenged the defendant go-kart company’s release language for her client, who suffered multiple spinal injuries after being intentionally T-boned by another racer – a grossly negligent practice that was allowed by the defendant.
Maria has been recognized as among the region’s “Best of The Bar” by the San Diego Business Journal since 2014, and received the publication’s Women Who Mean Business Award in 2015. The San Diego Daily Transcript recognized Maria as a Top Young Attorney from 2007 through 2009.
Maria is a demonstrated leader in the San Diego legal community. Since 2008, she has served on the Board of Directors for Consumer Attorneys of San Diego, the region’s preeminent trial lawyers association. In 2014, CASD’s President also honored her with its prestigious President’s Award in recognition of her contributions and commitment to the association. CASD’s Board recently elected Maria to serve on its executive committee as Secretary in 2016 and Treasurer in 2017. In addition, Maria is a member of the San Diego County Bar Association, Consumer Attorneys of California. San Diego Italian-American Bar Association, and Lawyers Club of San Diego.
Maria earned a Bachelor’s of Science degree in biochemical engineering from Florida State University and her Juris Doctorate from California Western School of Law. She is married to Patrick Kelly and together they are the proud parents of a toddler son.
- San Diego Business Journal, Best of the Bar, 2014-2016
- San Diego Business Journal, Women Who Mean Business Award, 2015
- Consumer Attorney’s of San Diego, President’s Award, 2013
Top Young Attorney, San Diego Daily Transcript, 2007-2009
Consumer Attorney’s of San Diego, Secretary 2016
- Consumer Attorney of San Diego, Board Member 2008-2016
San Diego County Bar Association, Member 2003-2016
Consumer Attorneys of California, Member
Lawyer’s Club, Member
- The Florida State University, Bachelor of Science Biochemical Engineering
- California Western School of Law, Juris Doctor